Conference is Life-Changing
General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is life-changing. There’s no question about it. Every six months, faithful members of the Chruch of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints attend a two-day life-changing conference.
Well, I hope it is life-changing for everyone. It requires commitment, motivation to do better, and follow through. For someone to sit there and say they didn’t get much out of General Conference is an admission that it is their own fault.
What Did I Find Life-Changing?
- At a time in my life, due to my illness, when it is difficult to endure 3 hours of ANYTHING, the reduction from 3 hours down to 2 hours is a welcome blessing.
- There were several references that the Second Coming is closer than we think. I will think twice about how I spend my time. I will also work on repenting as needed.
- Our Heavenly Father loves us unconditionally — even when we don’t think He does. I will work on having more confidence that the future will work itself out.
- Stop being angry and holding grudges.
- Don’t beat yourself up over mistakes from the past. I need to work on understanding that God forgives, but I need to forgive myself and dismiss any regrets I have for mistakes I’ve made.
- It “grieves” the Lord when we don’t call the church by His name. This is one I’ve tried hard to do — even before the reiteration given earlier this year. I will continue to remember to reference it as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Do more than just read the scriptures — study them. Elizabethe and I will need to modify how we do our scripture “reading”.
- Social Media Fasting – The challenge was to the sisters, but I will do it too. I’ve already deleted those apps from my phone and tablet. He also mentioned staying away from negative news sources. So, I am not going to click on the “News” tab in the search engine window.
- Even if illness or disability has struck, there are still ways to minister to others in need. This one is harder. My diagnosis is still new to me. However, I plan to start thinking of ways I can serve without causing pain or weakness to my body.
- Go to the temple more often. This is another difficult one. But, I got thinking… I’ve canceled most other “extra” activities because I simply can’t do them anymore. An endowment session is no more exerting than watching TV and having to get up to go to the bathroom a couple of times during a movie. If I can watch a 2-hour movie, I can attend an additional session once a week.
Every Six Months
Every six months is a life-changing event. I’m thankful for living prophets who receive revelation and remind us what we need to do to return to our Heavenly Father.